Money is a strange thing. It seems to be everywhere except in your possession these days, doesn’t it? She has money. He has money. They have money. Everyone has money but you! Don’t fret.
Here are 25 quotes about money to change the way you think about having it, so you too can fatten up your wallet.
1. “There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means.” ― Calvin Coolidge
3. “Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1.” ― Warren Buffett
4. “It’s how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success.” ― David Feherty
5. “The way to wealth is as plain as the way to market. It depends chiefly on two words, industry and frugality: that is, waste neither time nor money, but make the best use of both. Without industry and frugality nothing will do, and with them everything.” ― Benjamin Franklin
6. “What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us.” ― Julia Cameron
7. “Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.” ― Ayn Rand
8. “Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.” ― Epictetus
9. “The amount of money you have has got nothing to do with what you earn. People earning a million dollars a year can have no money. People earning $35,000 a year can be quite well off. It’s not what you earn, it’s what you spend.” ― Paul Clitheroe
10. “Financial peace isn’t the acquisition of stuff. It’s learning to live on less than you make, so you can give money back and have money to invest. You can’t win until you do this.” ― Dave Ramsey
11. “It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in awhile and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy.” ― George Lorimer
12. “My stove is old. My wallpaper is old. It’s the same wallpaper from when I moved here, and I never changed it. Why would I change it? I just keep it clean. If you take better care of things, you can hold onto them longer. That’s how I still run things. If it works, I keep it. If it doesn’t, I see if I can use it for something else. If I can’t, and I usually can, I toss it.” ― Clara Cannucciari
13. “Money is a guarantee that we may have what we want in the future. Though we need nothing at the moment it insures the possibility of satisfying a new desire when it arises.” ― Aristotle
14. “Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
15. “Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” ― James W. Frick
16. “It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” ― Robert Kiyosaki
17. “To acquire money requires valor, to keep money requires prudence, and to spend money well is an art.” ― Berthold Auerbach
18. “Wealth after all is a relative thing since he that has little and wants less is richer than he that has much and wants more.” ― Charles Caleb Colton
19. “If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free. If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.” ― Edmund Burke
20. “Never spend your money before you have it.” ― Thomas Jefferson
21. “Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.” ― Oprah Winfrey
22. “If you took our top fifteen decisions out, we’d have a pretty average record. It wasn’t hyperactivity, but a hell of a lot of patience. You stuck to your principles and when opportunities came along, you pounced on them with vigor.” ― Charlie Munger
23. “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” ― Steve Jobs
24. “Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.” ― William A. Ward
25. “If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.” ― Henry Ford
If these quotes don’t inspire some sense (or cents!) in you, then you’re outta luck! There’s a lot to think about when it comes to money, to earning it, to saving it, to spending it.
Money in itself is a job; managing it, accumulating it, babysitting it, giving it away. It’s always a good sign to have your priorities in focus and to keep a few of those soundbites in your pocket if you need a little push in the right direction. Here’s a funny one for the road for you!
“I made my money the old-fashioned way. I was very nice to a wealthy relative right before he died.” – Malcolm Forbes